Miles Brewton House, Charleston
The subject of this painting is the colonial residence of the successful Charleston merchant, Miles Brewton. The home was built during the years 1765 – 1769, and is considered by historians to be one of the finest American examples of the Georgian-styled “double house”, whose principles of design were first established by 16th century Italian architect, Andrea Palladio. Due to its distinguished size and appearance, the Miles Brewton House was overtaken as military headquarters and barracks by the British and Union armies during the occupations of Charleston in the Revolutionary and Civil wars, respectively. Colin Campbell Cooper is, “widely recognized for his architectural paintings, particularly his depictions of the modern American skyscraper… (he) was an avid traveler. In fact, he was aboard the S. S. Carpathia when it steamed to the rescue of passengers of the Titanic in April 1912.”
Cooper, Colin Campbell
Wright Collection of Southern Art
Still Image Item Type Metadata
watercolor and gouache on linen
This item has no relations.